Here is a fun version of Red Light Green Light our volunteers created: obstacle course style!
- two obstacle courses down the quarter lines, using things like upright poles, knocked oer cones, barrels, etc.
- one “start” cone at the beginning of the course, one “end” cone at the end of the course
- (or if you have more than 2 riders, do more obstacle courses, or one big one that covers the arena)
- line up at the “start” cones, facing the obstacle course
- explain the game: we will play red light green light, through the obstacle courses. You will need to steer through the course, but also keep an eye on the stop/go sign to know when to halt or walk on.
- first to make it to the end wins. if you don’t stop within 3 steps, you wait 3 seconds to walk on after the next “go”
- practice halt, walk on, steering
- learn to steer using peripheral vision, because they need to avoid obstacles but also keep an eye on the stop/go sign
- coordination, for the same reasons!
Note: This is not professional advice, this is a blog. I am not liable for what you do with or how you use this information. The activities explained in this blog may not be fit for every rider, riding instructor, or riding center depending on their current condition and resources. Use your best personal judgment!