Want to know the basics of communicating with your riders? In particular, those with verbal and non verbal learning disabilities, sensory and ASD issues?
Well there is a GREAT powerpoint presentation called “Communication Tools & Strategies” by Susan Lutz that was presented at the Region 5 2012 conference.
You can find the info in 2 ways:
1) Her handouts are available at the bottom of this page: Region 5 2012 Handouts
2) Her powerpoint presentation is only available to PATH members. To get it, do this:
- Become a PATH member, if you haven’t already.
- Go to PATH Intl. and login.
- Click on the “Community Connections” logo on the left sidebar.
- Login to Community Connections. Or become a member if you haven’t already.
- Click on “Resources” on the main menu bar across the top of the page.
- Find and click on and download the resource “2012 Region 5 Conference-Communication Tools & Strategies”. This is the powerpoint. If you want everything from the conference, including some handouts mentioned in the powerpoint, download “2012 Region 5 Conference Handouts”.
Seriously do it! I highly recommend this article for the new instructor!
Note: This is not professional advice, this is a blog. I am not liable for what you do with or how you use this information. The activities explained in this blog may not be fit for every rider, riding instructor, or riding center depending on their current condition and resources. Use your best personal judgement!