Here is a creative unmounted activity from Carrie Capes of HorsePowerTR in Illinois. I know lots of you are looking for unmounted activities so I hope this is helpful!
Barn Map Game
- laminated barn map with horse names on stalls (she put her rider’s name and “Horse Power Barn Map Game” at the top)
- laminated horse names with Velcro or double sided tape backing
- Clip the barn map onto the clipboard so it’s easier to use. Start with all the horses’ names off to the side, on another paper, or held by a volunteer.
- Go around the barn and tell each horse “good-night” and place the horse’s name on the stall square on the map.
- If he knows how to read, he can look for the name himself, or you or the volunteer can hold on to them and give them to him.
She says, “Not the best photo but you get the idea.”
This game gives me ideas for some similar activities!
- Create a barn map with images of items and where you find them (tack, hay, wheelbarrows, grooming buckets, etc.) and put them on when you find where they are located.
- Create a parts of the horse map with the part names to be put in the right place.
- Create an activities of the barn map that you go through in order of where the rider does what: arrive (park the car), get my helmet, wait my turn, mount, etc.
Note: This is not professional advice, this is a blog. I am not liable for what you do with or how you use this information. The activities explained in this blog may not be fit for every rider, riding instructor, or riding center depending on their current condition and resources. Use your best personal judgement! If you would like to contribute an activity or article, please contact me here, I would love to hear from you!