There are many different ways to use a dice in TR. This is one game I recently learned!
- 2 big dice (such as the ones above, found by googling “big dice”)
- Have both students woah at one end of the arena, facing down the centerline, side by side. (They will be “racing” down the center).
- Each student throws a dice. (Or, if 1 student, you and the student each throw a dice).
- Pick up the dice keeping the side up that they rolled and show it to each student for them to count the number of dots on the side they rolled. (You can help them by pointing to each dot and counting).
- Have them add the two dice together. (You can help them by putting the two dice side by side and counting all the dots together).
- Let them walk the number of steps forward that they rolled.
- Keep doing this until one of them reaches the end first!
- Woah/walk on
- Precision woah/walk on – get the EXACT number of steps!
- Call out different gaits (walk, trot) or speeds (extended, collected) for each roll.
- For more advanced students, halt/trot/halt transitions.
Note: This is not professional advice, this is a blog. I am not liable for what you do with or how you use this information. The activities explained in this blog may not be fit for every rider, riding instructor, or riding center depending on their current condition and resources. Use your best personal judgement!