My game guru Carrie of Horsepower sent me another fun activity!
- Farm Magnet Game
- Cookie sheet
- 2 Barrels
- 2 Obstacles
Arena Set Up
- Put magnets on a cookie sheet on a barrel at one end of arena.
- Make 2 obstacles in the middle of arena. I like a parking place made of two groundpoles, a line of cones for weaving, and a box for turning around.
- Put the scenes in the metal case on a barrel at other end of arena.
- Whoa at the first barrel.
- Have the rider select 2 magnets from the cookies sheet. You can let them select freely, or play eye-spy to select. Hold the cookie sheets in tricky places so that rider has to reach, twist, etc to reach.
- Ride to the second barrel. Ride over one obstacle on their way there.
- At the second barrel, have the rider decide where to place the magnets on the scene. You can let them manipulate the object themselves if they need to work on fine motor skills, or if they need to work on using their words they can hand the magnets to the sidewalker and describe in a full sentence where they wants the magnets to go (for example, “I want the horse next to the water trough.” & “The tractor should go in the pasture.”)
- Return to the first barrel to select 2 more magnets. Include an obstacle on the way back, or trot 3 long walls.
Carrie says, “Our riders love this game! We always take a photo and send it to their parents.”
Note: This is not professional advice, this is a blog. I am not liable for what you do with or how you use this information. The activities explained in this blog may not be fit for every rider, riding instructor, or riding center depending on their current condition and resources. Use your best personal judgment!