Another great game from Carrie at Horsepower, who got this idea from a workshop at the Region 7 PATH Intl Conference.
The Laundry Game
- Place 6 pairs of socks around the arena, seperately.
- Place a washing machine box on a barrel. Our intern, Kaitlyn, made our box with paint.
- Make a clothes-line from string and 2 poles. You will need 6 clothes-pins. (The Region 7 presentation used a clothes basket).
- Riders select a sock and have to steer around the arena looking for its match. We like to put the sock in tricky places for them to reach: on their boot, on the horse’s poll or haunches, etc.
- Once found, ask the rider to navigate through cones or circle barrels on their way to the washing machine.
- Put socks in machine and go back for two more pairs ( or however many time allows).
- Then have them push buttons on machine to start it. Go trot for a few minutes and come back.
- Take socks out, and do an obstacle skill on the way to the clothesline. Riders must navigate to the clothesline ending alongside it so they can reach the pins.
- Put socks on the line. Riders will need varying amounts of assistance with this.
Caution: Ensure all horses are comfortable with the box and the line. The dark hole in the box worries many horses. We gave treats from inside the box prior to playing. The swinging socks can also be very spook-making, so do your prep with the equines prior to playing this game.
“You’ve never had so much fun doing the laundry!”
Thanks for sharing, Carrie!
Note: This is not professional advice, this is a blog. I am not liable for what you do with or how you use this information. The activities explained in this blog may not be fit for every rider, riding instructor, or riding center depending on their current condition and resources. Use your best personal judgment!