One of our instructors in training played this super cute game with her young riders today, so I asked if I could share it on the blog. I’m not sure what its name was, but this is what I named it.
Save the Babies Game
- 3 barrels and 2 sign posts or jump stands – clustered on one side of the arena
- 4 upright poles – down centerline
- Baby animals – scattered throughout these two areas
- 2 T poles with rings and 2 ground poles – on the other side of the arena
- Mama animals – somewhere else in the arena
So it looks like this:
How to play:
- Explain to the riders that the obstacles on the ground (barrels, etc.) are the Grand Canyon, and the poles down the centerline are the Forest, and the poles on the ground are the Bridge.
- Point out that the baby animals are are lost and got stuck in the Grand Canyon and in the tops of the trees of the Forest. They need to steer through the obstacles, collect the babies, and take them back to their mommies. However, after they get a baby they must first pass the Troll that lives under the bridge (that’s you the instructor, or a volunteer). To pass, they have to identify the horse part (or be given a horse part to point to). Once they pass, they may deliver the baby to the mommy.
- Repeat until all the babies are found!
- Work on whoa, walk on, steering, balancing.
- Included a required weave the poles, if desired.
- Incorporate how to avoid running into each other, if needed.
- Modify however you life!
Aren’t these adorable? One of our instructors had these bath toy mommy animals with babies that sit in their backs!
Note: This is not professional advice, this is a blog. I am not liable for what you do with or how you use this information. The activities explained in this blog may not be fit for every rider, riding instructor, or riding center depending on their current condition and resources. Use your best personal judgment!
Awesome game idea, thanks so much for sharing and to you and all contributors to this site- I love it!!
As an educator and an equine therapist- I LOVE this and will pass on to my instructors! I just love this blog! Thanks for capturing the gift of teaching!
Need it? Find it on http://www.anythingforhorseandrider.com
I reblogged it! I hope this is ok.
Of course the reblog is okay! I’m so glad you appreciate this blog enough to pass it on. Thank you for your kind words. All the best for your own blog!
Reblogged this on Anything For Horse And Rider and commented:
For all those that teach- I came across this blog and found it not only informative but had great ideas! Hope you enjoy!
Another excellent idea…. many thanks 🙂